Skip to main content

We are not Oliseh’s boys –Igbonu, Uzochukwu

’Tana Aiyejina
Super Eagles stars Sylvester Igbonu and Izunna Uzochukwu have said they earned their places in the national team on merit and not because of their relationship with erstwhile coach Sunday Oliseh.
Both players had played for amateur side FC Ebedei – a club owned by Oliseh’s brother, Churchill – before moving on to Danish club FC Midtjylland. But they only got call-ups to represent Nigeria after Oliseh was appointed Eagles coach in July 2015.
“I’m not Sunday Oliseh’s boy; I’m surprised when I hear people say I’m his boy. I remember when I was in Russia and the coach called me; he actually went through my details, checked my profile and he thought I was one of the players who could help the team,” striker Igbonu, who plays for FC Ufa in the Russian topflight, said.
“He (Oliseh) called me and told me, “Sly, hope you can give the team 110 per cent?” And I told him that what I needed was the chance, and that if I got it, I would give 150 per cent.
“If you say I am Oliseh’s boy because I played in Ebedei before, Izunna also did. We were called up at the same time but at some point, Izunna was no longer invited. If Izunna was Oliseh’s boy, he should have remained in the team.
“If I didn’t perform very well, I wouldn’t have got the next call up. So, it’s a surprise but everyone has a right to their opinion. All I need to do is to keep working hard and improve my game.”
In a twist of fate, Igbonu and Uzochukwu have been excluded from the Eagles since Oliseh quit the post in February.
 However, Uzochukwu, who also debunked the Oliseh boy tag, said he would always give his best to the Eagles, if recalled to the team.
The OB Odense midfielder said, “I’ve heard about people saying we are no longer invited to the national team because we are Oliseh’s boys. But it’s not true. I got a chance in the national team and I gave my best though injury didn’t help matters but I assure Nigerians that if I get another chance, I will do even better and I will keep pushing and improving my game.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wimbledon: Kerber defeats Halep to make semi-final

AFP Germany’s Australian Open champion Angelique Kerber reached her second Wimbledon semi-final on Tuesday to edge closer to the world number one spot. The fourth-seeded left-hander emerged victorious over Simona Halep, the fifth seed from Romania, 7-5, 7-6 (7/2) and will face either Venus Williams or Yaroslava Shvedova for a place in Saturday’s final. Kerber, who was also a semi-finalist in 2012, is now in sight of becoming the new world number one although she needs to win the title while seeing Serena Williams fail to make the semi-finals.

Abesan Cup enters s’final stage

Last year’s finalists Rozie FC of Aboru will battle Crystal of Ijeshatedo in one of the semi-final matches of the Abesan Cup at the Keda pitch in Ipaja, Lagos, on Saturday, as they aim to emerge champions of the highly-rated grassroots football competition. The second semifinal is between Golden Boys of Iyana Ipaja and debutants Junioru United of Ijegun. Both games would be preceded by a novelty match between  organisers of the event led by its coordinator, TayoAdeyemo and coaches and team managers of participating teams. The novelty match, which started in 2010, is meant to foster a healthy relationship between organisers and team owners. To reach this stage, Golden Boys edged out Global 3-0 in the quarter-final, while United beat defending champions Onigando Football Academy 2-1.

IYC begs Buhari to act on his appeals to end militancy

OVIE OKPARE, WARRI The umbrella body for Ijaw youths, Ijaw Youth Council has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to act on his appeals to Niger Delta militants to halt hostilities by personally kick-starting the dialogue process with stakeholders in the region. A statement signed by the spokesman for the group, Eric Omare, on Sunday, stressed that only a genuine and serious engagement with Niger Delta people would address the recurring agitation from the people. The group which was reacting to recent appeal by the President, urging the rampaging militants to embrace and halt further attacks on oil facilities in the region, said multiplicity of new militant group was not a barrier to achieving peace if the government was sincere. It maintained that for a lasting peace to be achieved in the region, President Buhari must been seen leading such discussion, citing instance of his predecessors rather than sending surrogate to negotiate on his behalf. The IYC statement read, “Th...