Skip to main content

Higuain apologises to Napoli coach, fans

Higuain, who hit a new Serie A record of 36 league goals last season, joined Juventus earlier this week on a five-year deal worth 90m euros ($98.8m, £75.3m) that will make him the league’s highest-paid player on an estimated annual salary of 7.5m euros ($8.3m).
Although the transfer itself had Napoli fans in a fizz, Higuain’s failure to offer thanks and farewells to Napoli and their passionate ‘tifosi’ has gone down like a lead balloon in the southern Italian city.
At his official unveiling in Turin on Thursday, the 28-year-old Argentine claimed he meant no offence to the club he has helped revive in three, mostly positive seasons in Naples.
Sarri, credited with squeezing the best out of Higuain in his first season in the hot seat last campaign, was reportedly miffed the Argentine did not even call him.
Higuain explained: “It was my choice to uphold this silence in what was a quiet period for me. I didn’t want to think about anything, I just wanted to be on holiday with my family and friends.
“But he (Sarri) was very important for me and helped me to grow. I send him my best wishes from here. I apologise, the only thing I can say to him is ‘thanks’.”
Napoli’s fans might be more difficult to placate.
The club Diego Maradona helped steer to title success in 1987 and 1990 is renowned for its fervent support, even when the chips are down.
But on the day his transfer was announced, Napoli supporters posted pictures of Higuain’s shirt being thrown into the toilet. Others turned to social media to lament having tattoos of their hero inked onto their arms and legs.
Higuain said he meant no offence, adding: “I was in shutdown mode, but now I can explain. I had three great years in Napoli, so I can understand people are angry with me… I saw the insults.
“But I made this choice because of my own personal ambitions. And I’m happy I made the move. Now, all I’m thinking about is Juve.”
At Juventus, Higuain will reportedly earn 7.5m euros a season to overtake Roma midfielder Daniele De Rossi as the league’s highest paid player.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wimbledon: Kerber defeats Halep to make semi-final

AFP Germany’s Australian Open champion Angelique Kerber reached her second Wimbledon semi-final on Tuesday to edge closer to the world number one spot. The fourth-seeded left-hander emerged victorious over Simona Halep, the fifth seed from Romania, 7-5, 7-6 (7/2) and will face either Venus Williams or Yaroslava Shvedova for a place in Saturday’s final. Kerber, who was also a semi-finalist in 2012, is now in sight of becoming the new world number one although she needs to win the title while seeing Serena Williams fail to make the semi-finals.

Abesan Cup enters s’final stage

Last year’s finalists Rozie FC of Aboru will battle Crystal of Ijeshatedo in one of the semi-final matches of the Abesan Cup at the Keda pitch in Ipaja, Lagos, on Saturday, as they aim to emerge champions of the highly-rated grassroots football competition. The second semifinal is between Golden Boys of Iyana Ipaja and debutants Junioru United of Ijegun. Both games would be preceded by a novelty match between  organisers of the event led by its coordinator, TayoAdeyemo and coaches and team managers of participating teams. The novelty match, which started in 2010, is meant to foster a healthy relationship between organisers and team owners. To reach this stage, Golden Boys edged out Global 3-0 in the quarter-final, while United beat defending champions Onigando Football Academy 2-1.

IYC begs Buhari to act on his appeals to end militancy

OVIE OKPARE, WARRI The umbrella body for Ijaw youths, Ijaw Youth Council has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to act on his appeals to Niger Delta militants to halt hostilities by personally kick-starting the dialogue process with stakeholders in the region. A statement signed by the spokesman for the group, Eric Omare, on Sunday, stressed that only a genuine and serious engagement with Niger Delta people would address the recurring agitation from the people. The group which was reacting to recent appeal by the President, urging the rampaging militants to embrace and halt further attacks on oil facilities in the region, said multiplicity of new militant group was not a barrier to achieving peace if the government was sincere. It maintained that for a lasting peace to be achieved in the region, President Buhari must been seen leading such discussion, citing instance of his predecessors rather than sending surrogate to negotiate on his behalf. The IYC statement read, “Th...